I went to Glendale for a day last week to look at my car and sue my previous stereo guy, Admir. One of those things happened (obviously), and the other is tabled for now. The drama behind the reason for that is not as interesting to read about as it is a hassle to have happen to me, so I’ll get to the car.
It now resides down the street at Megaplex, where Allen and Arbey are busy doing what it took Admir 100 years to try to do. They have already installed most of the wiring and have almost all of the parts they need. That’s pretty good for having only been in possession of it for one day. As I should have assumed by that point, Francisco was late delivering the car. It’s always something, and it’s usually not his fault.
This time, he experienced some complications with the width of the rear cabin seats. The original depth of both the rear-facing and side-facing seats was 18 inches. When placed in the car, Francisco found that there wasn’t enough space to comfortably enter through the rear doors. His solution was to shorten the rear-facing seat by 2.5 inches, which seems reasonable and didn’t cause a noticeable difference when I sat on the unfinished seat during my visit. But since I’m being very hands-on (well, at least eyes-on) with this project, I would have appreciated a phone call. I was also a little miffed because this could have been determined months ago by simply measuring the inside of the car. I know it’s hard to get an exact measurement, but I feel like we could have anticipated this.
During my last couple of visits to Francisco’s shop, I met with Allen and Arbey to discuss cameras, audio, and whatnot for the car. Allen told me over the phone a couple of weeks ago that he wanted to work on it in his own shop. I knew that would slow things on the front end, but it looks like he’ll be able to commit more resources to the project if the car is at his place.
We had made plans for where to put everything the last time I was in town, and those changed a bunch of times, a concept that I am growing used to. We’re putting the subwoofer all the way in the back now instead of near the front end of the side-facing rear seat. The 12-inch sub poked out just a tad too high above the constructed seat frame. The two amps are going into an opening near the right rear door.
With Admir running the AC at full-blast the entire time he was putting substandard materials in my car, the battery was out of juice. Allen tried to hook up a generator to squeeze some extra life out of the battery, but that didn’t work. So he’s been jumping it through another car in the lot every time he needs to work on it. I had grown used to the idea of having to buy a new battery if I really want my car to be the destroyer of worlds. But I was hoping the current one would last long enough to power the preparation of my car for regular use.
Incidentally, that thick blue cable snaking around it will be connecting the battery to all the electronics in the car. It’s quite a lot to ask of a standard battery that was doing nothing before. I’m having Allen get me an Optima, which will be sufficient for noisy, flashy things.